CLEVELAND – April 13, 2021 – As food and beverage brands increasingly seek to support a circular economy by using more recycled PET (rPET), several aesthetic and processing challenges inherent in rPET are also emerging. To help combat these issues, Avient today announced the launch of ColorMatrix™ Optica™ PET blue toners and colorants, which enable enhanced recyclability of PET packaging.
Variations in the aesthetic appearance of rPET are caused by multiple heat cycles, as the material is recovered and reused. This can include yellowing and other color variations. In addition, processing efficiencies are reduced as the material is recycled.
Formulated for addition to virgin PET and recycled PET (rPET), heat-stable ColorMatrix Optica blue toners work to correct and reduce the yellowing or color variation that typically occurs during the recycling process.
The solution also incorporates the added benefits of ColorMatrix™ SmartHeat™ RHC technology for improved processing performance. These include:
• Improved bottle mechanical strength
• Reduced stoppages, blowouts, and scrap rates
• Reduced energy consumption during the bottle blowing process
ColorMatrix Optica blue toners are formulated for injection molding and extrusion processes, and are commercially available in major global markets.
Avient Corporation (NYSE: AVNT), with 2020 pro forma revenues of $3.8 billion, provides specialized and sustainable material solutions that transform customer challenges into opportunities, bringing new products to life for a better world.
• Barrier technologies that preserve the shelf-life and quality of food, beverages, medicine and other perishable goods through high-performance materials that require less plastic
• Light-weighting solutions that replace heavier traditional materials like metal, glass and wood, which can improve fuel efficiency in all modes of transportation
• Breakthrough technologies that minimize wastewater and improve the recyclability of materials and packaging across a spectrum of end uses
Avient employs approximately 8,400 associates and is certified ACC Responsible Care®, a founding member of the Alliance to End Plastic Waste and certified Great Place to Work®. For more information, visit www.avient.com.
To access Avient’s news library online, please visit www.avient.com/news.
# # #
FOR MEDIA USE ONLY: To download a high-resolution image, please click here: FOR MEDIA USE ONLY